Thursday, March 18, 2010

articles

I had asked my physical therapist for resources or articles to gain more insight into my condition. Yesterday, he gave me a couple of sites where I could look into frozen shoulder further. He pointed me to the article on adhesive capsulitis at the Professional Baseball Athletic Trainers Society. The article is okay, but it's mostly a rehash of the same information that I've found elsewhere online. There's quite a lot of discussion about surgical treatments, if you're into that kind of thing. The illustrations for the site are the best thing about it, although you wonder how correct they are. My preference is usually to go to wiki for general information like this.

In addition, he had told me to search PubMed for the terms "shoulder adhesive capsulitis". I'd actually already tried PubMed, but the first result I got was about shoulder pain in Nigerians, which didn't sound very relevant, and I had quickly decided to look elsewhere.

In fact, PubMed seems to be a good resource after all. Since he suggested I try it, I returned and immediately struck gold. I found a single case report1 and a more extensive study2.

I'm still in the process of reading the articles, and I'll write about them more if I find anything notable.

1 Positional Stretching of the Coracohumeral Ligament on a Patient with Adhesive Capsulitis: A Case Report, by Jose Orlando Ruiz
2
Comparison of High-Grade and Low-Grade Mobilization Techniques in the Management of Adhesive Capsulitis of the Shoulder: Randomized Controlled Trial, by Henricus M Vermeulen et al.

No comments:

Post a Comment